Ocracoke is a unique offshore fishing destination known for its wide array of fishing opportunities.
Cape Lookout lies 55 miles to our south, home to the ever famous Big Rock fishing grounds. 40 miles to our North you will find the tip of Cape Hatteras, often referred to as “gamefish junction” due to the confluence of currents and fish species. In between those two landmark fishing destinations the warm waters of the Gulf Stream meander over the continental shelf as close as 18 miles off of Ocracoke Inlet.
The entire Outer Banks is known for its outstanding fishing, but Ocracoke offers shorter runs to the warm gulf stream waters. Couple this with year round opportunities for species such as tuna, billfish, wahoo, dolphin, and an assortment of bottom fish, and you have a fishers paradise.
The Pro’s of Ocracoke Offshore Fishing:
- Short run to the gulfstream
- Lots of wrecks and natural rocky bottom where fish congregate
- Much less pressure and fewer boats than almost anywhere else on the Atlantic seaboard
- Due to the shorter runs charter boat rates are 10-30% less than anywhere else in NC.
- Inlet is traditionally more stable and navigable than many of the sand inlets throughout NC.
- Plethora of nearshore and inshore opportunities if the weather blows out your offshore trip
- Historic village with just enough modern conveniences to make it the perfect vacation destination.
- Many lodging options available
- High quality boat ramps for those bringing their own vessels.
- Full service marina with deepwater dockage, fuel, bait, ice, tackle, showers, shore power, and pump-out services.
Are you planning to bring your boat over to Ocracoke for the first time for an offshore fishing trip? Feel free to give Captain Rob of Fish Ocracoke a call or email before you come. We are always happy to help discuss inlet conditions, fishing options, dockage, or any other advice we may provide. If you are interested in hiring a captain or mate for the day to help you get you feet wet on the Ocracoke fishing scene, please visit our Captain For Hire page.
If you are looking to book a fishing charter on the Outer Banks, look no further than Ocracoke’s fleet. Below is a comprehensive listing of all the offshore charter boats currently in Ocracoke. If you are looking for a nearshore or inshore fishing charter, please be sure to visit our inshore fishing page.
- Free Ranger – Fish Ocracoke’s very own charter service. Offering full day and partial day trips on a 46′ custom sportfisher. You will not find a more committed team on the Outer Banks. Please visit out charter fishing page for more information.
- Gecko Sportfishing – Captain Ernest Doshier is one of Ocracoke’s finest captains, and operates our largest charter fishing vessel, the Gecko. The Outer Banks is home to a great many high quality charter captains, but Captain Doshier sets himself apart from the rest with vast experience and a commitment to excellence. Ernest also owns and operates the inshore boat Drumrunner and is THE choice for an Outer Banks red drum fishing charter.
- CAP’N B – A staple of the Ocracoke Charter fishing fleet for many years, the CAPT B is a 46′ sport fisher. Captained by Ferris O’neil who is one of the finest watermen on the Outer Banks.
- Dream Girl Charters – The newest boat in the Ocracoke fleet, the Dream girl is a 37′ express sport fisher with twin suzuki outboards. She was built and is captained by longtime charter captain Stevie Wilson. The dream girl offers the quickest ride to the fishing grounds in the Ocracoke fleet.